Monday, April 30, 2007

Puzzling Observation....

I awake most mornings and fall asleep most nights to some type of ESPN programming. A compromise on my part if you will that allows the majority of after dinner viewing to consist of whatever reality TV show is on .

During a recent unspoken pre-compromised viewing of Sports Center where they were giving the run down of every sport that occurred over the past 24 hours and who the victor was I noticed something that caught my attention and can not stop thinking about it. Baseball coaches wear baseball player uniforms. This is odd to me. They are not expected to pinch hit or take the mound as a relief pitcher. Why do they wear the stretchy pants, jersey, hat and not to mention CLEATS!!

I racked my brain to try to figure out the reason and I began to think about what the coach does during baseball games that would justify the uniform. I am not a big baseball fan so I am not really certain of the logistics but I have attended my share of games and can recall seeing the coach sitting in the dugout and getting up for the occasional butt slapping (another blog entirely), getting up to yell at the umpire, making calls on the equally suspicious phone, and of course eating sunflower seeds. None of this activity requires stretchy pants!

In no other sport does the coach or coaching staff wear the same uniform as the players. Not Football, Basketball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, Swimming, or Ice Skating.

Survey is....or rather question is, Why do baseball coaches wear the baseball uniform?

3 comments:

Mandie said...

Ok, so funny enough this is the second time this week this question was brought up, so I decided to do a little research bc frankly it made no sense to me, either. Here's what I found out:

"In baseball's early days, it was common for managers to play for their teams (Pete Rose played and managed the Reds in the 1980s). It made sense for the manager to dress like a player -- he was one. As the years went by, managers played less often, but the tradition stuck around."

Go figure. I still think it's pretty silly, but could you imagine if other sports did this? There are a lot of FAT football coaches that would be squeezing into stretch capris!

Chrissy said...

THANK YOU!!!!
I know what you mean about other sports coaches wearing the uniform.
Could you imagine Gary Williams wearing the MD basketball gear with the shorts down past his knees?

Shauna said...

I was about to be like, "Yeah, what IS that about?" But then Mandie answered my question! Blogging is so informative!